Prairie Woods Audubon Society
The aim of the Audubon Society, as a chapter of the National Audubon Society, is to conserve the environment, preserve wildlife and natural habitats, and provide opportunities for education, nature appreciation, and fellowship.
Prairie Woods Audubon meeting information:
- Location: Spring Valley Nature Center, 1111 E. Schaumburg Rd., Schaumburg, IL
- Dates: Third Thursday of the month -- September-November; February-May
- Time: 6:45 pm - 7:15 pm Social Time 7:15 pm - 9:00 pm Meeting and Program
palatine PRAIRIE walk!
Thanks to Cyndi Duda and Nancy Wedow for providing an in-depth prairie walk on 8/15/19. Cyndi and Nancy shared the history of the Palatine Prairie and showcased the native plants and flowers, while pointing out the invasive species.
Prairie Woods Audubon are the stewards for this virgin prairie, located at the Margareth Reimer Reservoir. The Prairie is located along the railroad tracks at the far north end of the park.
The Prairie is open to the public so feel free to view it on your own. Just remember that no specimens can be taken from the area. It has been designated as an Illinois Nature Preserve, which means the land can never be developed. Instead, it is preserved for all to enjoy.
Top: Palatine Prairie Sign - Prairie Woods Audubon, Palatine Park District and the Palatine Historical Society all worked on the project of preserving this piece of virgin land.
Bottom: Sign designating the land as an Illinois Nature Preserve.
Top Left: Walking through the prairie.
Bottom Left: Showing the height of some of the prairie plants.
Prairie Woods Audubon holds its monthly meetings on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
Please view the information below for the upcoming meeting schedule.
september 19, 2019
Birds of Prey
The Forest Preserve District of Cook County will be presenting a program about Birds of Prey on Thursday, Sept. 19th. A staff member from the River Trail Nature Center will discuss raptors that are native to northern Illinois. A live raptor and a variety of specimens will be on display as they discuss the unique adaptations these birds use to survive.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for detailsRed-tailed Hawk
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization voluntarily affiliated with the National Audubon Society. We are registered & file with the IRS, the State of IL & the Attorney General's Office yearly as prescribed by law.
What We Do:
1. We help maintain a 6.5 acre high quality prairie in Palatine IL.
2. Hold field trips such as birding and nature activities.
3. Support area conservation education/activism, implement & teach habitat conservation, and award grants to area groups from youths to senior citizens.
4. Hold monthly membership meetings from Sept.- June. No meetings are held in Dec. & Jan. Topics include birding, conservation, science and more!
5. Presentations and meet-ups are always open to the public. Refreshments served. Always FREE!
6. For info, questions or media contact please call us or leave a message at:
Our Phone: (847) 485-9695 Our e-Mail: email@example.com